Below is feedback from Luke Firth, MD at Firth Improvement, who recently attended the Shingo Discover Excellence workshop led by Prof. Peter Hines. This course was attended by a wide mix of organisations, from retail, service and manufacturing.
“Thought I’d share some insights from the two days I spent with Professor Peter Hines. and the Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water team:
1. I personally found the course content and the Shingo model very useful, but it was pretty hard to get your head around after being in the Lean universe for such a long time.
2. Some companies I’ve worked with have wondered where to go next after they’ve done a couple of waves or deployment cycles, Shingo is the next step
3. I say this because it focuses entirely on how to centre your organisation around principles and behaviours
4. This helps develop a much more sustainable culture for your improvement efforts to thrive
5. Finally, it was impressive to see how this could be used across the whole enterprise; to reshape reward and recognition. HR policies, Health and Safety, financial management and not just the process and the operations.
I thoroughly recommend the two day introduction with Peter and the team, and am seriously considering signing up for the long form course to embed the model at a practical level.”
Luke Firth, MD Firth IMprovement